Tuesday 21 September 2010

Robert Kirk - Part 2 - Aberfoyle Church


The following day I wandered to the remains of the church in Aberfoyle, where Reverend Robert Kirk settled after leaving Balquhidder. His father, Reverend James Kirk, was also previously a minister of the church. It is said that the Reverend enjoyed taking walks up nearby Doon Hill, said to be a local haunt of the faeries. In the photo above you can see the back of Robert Kirk's grave, looking towards Doon Hill in the background.


Below, some photos taken around the church and graveyard. Unfortunately the church where Robert Kirk ministered has long since gone, though it was replaced by a new church in 1744 but that has since fallen into disrepair and the roof is no longer present, but this does allow for a lovely variety of plant life to grow nestled inbetween the fallen bricks and graves.

Just incase you were wondering, the large coffin shaped pieces of metal outside the entrance below are mortuary weights. These were placed on fresh graves to stop thieves stealing the bodies to sell to scientific research. Charming!!



It's still a very magical place, and it's easy to see why Reverend Kirk chose Doon Hill as his favourite place to ramble in the mornings, with it being so nearby and watching over him every day whilst he worked in the church.

Next, a trip to Doon Hill....

8 comments:

Fiona Murray said...

hi I am a modern Faery folklorist. I see and hear Faeries and Elementals like Kirk did. I live in Biggar Scotland and run courses all over the UK on working with them. my site is www.elementalbeings.co.uk and my book about my experiences with them is www.messagesfromnaturesguardians.co.uk
Lovely blog was doing some research on Kirk for another book I am writing and found you. Fiona

The Faery Folklorist said...

Hi Fiona, it's lovely meet another Faery folklorist! You're so lucky to live in Scotland, if i could live anywhere i'd pick a lovely quiet village in the Scottish highlands :) The fae are so abundant in Scotland! Good luck with your new book, please let me know when it's out and i'll be sure to take a look!

Anonymous social worker said...

Oh my god. I really like your blog. I'm also an faery enthusiast, I'm 20, and I've been studying magic lore, and mythical creatures since I was 12. My goal is to be a published folklorist in that subject.
I live in the Unites States but I was born and raised in Peru, a country filled with native American lore.
You are so lucky to live in the UK so near the fairy culture.

The Faery Folklorist said...

Hi FrancoB! So glad you enjoy my blog, it's always good to meet another faery enthusiast :) Good luck becoming a published folklorist, there can never be too many folklore books and the area you mention is especially fascinating! I'm currently very interested in learning more about herb and plant lore, and afraid to say i've been neglecting my blog a little and gardening instead!! Do you have a folklore blog too? Would love to see it if you do!

Anonymous said...

We are NOT 'looking at the back of Kirk's grave' in your photograph We are looking at the back of the headstone of Jane Dent, upon whose grave Kirk's headstone rests. Since the base of Kirk's headstone rests upon a support-stone, perhaps Kirk's grave lies dirctly in front of this, but this remains anybody's guess.

The Faery Folklorist said...

Hiya Anonymous! Thank you, I thought the headstone was also part of Kirk's grave, it's so worn with age it's very hard to read. Thanks for correcting me :)

Anonymous said...

hello I am very familair with Robert Kirk. Visited Scotland and all these places twenty years ago intent on doing a book.I am just now getting around to it. He fascinates me and the character that I have created in my head might just go up on Fanfiction. net. Easy way of doing it and getting it over with. Enjoyed all of this. My thing is really the Tuatha De Danann. This site was a big help for me, but I do not believe that when Kirk was in Bal. that is the first time he was introduced to the Fariy Faith. He grew up in the shadow of Doon Hill.The old manse he was raised in is still in Aberfolye and Doon Hill, Hill Sithen stands right behind it. Been up there and was surprised at how many people still keep faith with the faeries.

The Faery Folklorist said...

Hi there, thank you for leaving a comment! If you do write it up on Fanfiction, please send me a link, i'd love to read it. I've always been a bit puzzled over Doon Hill and the 'Fairy Knowe' area next to it on the Ordinance Survey maps. Am I correct in thinking that Robert Kirk believed the fairies to be on Doon Hill and he died there, or was it on Fairy Knowe? Never been too sure on this matter, would love to know!